Monday, January 11, 2010

Memory lanes...part 1



Memory lanes....this is an effort to jot down most memorable events in my life dating from oldest to latest.....the ones that I can still correlate with the present day in some way or the other.

Part 1: always close to heart!

Time and tide stops for none......really....time does fly!!....Its been almost 24 years, 3 months and some 12 days I have been living and breathing....I hardly remember the first few years of my life.

Most primitive memory I can trace back to is of me going to nursery school. I still vividly remember the red checkered shirt, red shorts as well...I know, it sounds soo lame but well, we were not fashion conscious then....the first day of my nursery school, mummy had come to drop me..I had walked all the way to school. I usually walked to school then, it wasn't that far, I hardly knew what 'Far' and 'Near' meant back then. ever thought about it??...Interesting right...Anyway, i remember me holding on to mummy's forefinger and clinging along all the way with a bottle around my neck, a handkerchief pinned with my id on my shirt pocket and a small teeny weeny bag...All i cared was to see the people go as I kept walking to the school...and that was the phase of "Why's?"....An age that comes in every childs' life, that we add WHY to everything and Anything that we see or hear...I saw this happen with my bro as well...my younger bro...and i used to recall then...was I so annoying as well...Yes I must have been...Well, so mummy left me at the school gates and that was the first time I left the grasp of her finger and walked in...I turned back instantly to see where was I going and where was she coming along or not? We repeat this same phenomena even today in every decision we make, almost always unconsciously...ever thought about that!!...So, there I was, turned back and stopped in my steps...I saw her waving at me, and by then I had atleast understood that what did that action mean...it meant i was going away...and she was too.....tears poured out and i stood there crying, rubbing of my tears with my shirt sleeves...who knew what the hanky was for...it was just ornamental then.....she stopped waving....came back to me....gave a warm cuddle and a tear trickled along.....twas time for the teacher to intervene...she came, and carried me away in her arms. People say, the kid cries only on the first day, well I cried for atleast a month, everyday! That is the first ever memory of my life that I remember. For me, that is the first day of my life.

Looking at where I stand now, its been almost 24 years, of which I have spent almost 8 years living away from mummy and papa. That leaves me with 16 years. Of these 16 years, my last memory traces back to 6 years and after....I lose 6 more years there, that leaves me with only 10 years of my life with my parents!

They would soon retire, and I bet the scene of my first day at nursery still repeats everytime I leave home for anywhere I go, they would always stay close to my heart!

5 comments:

  1. i loved t bottle around the neck.... u remember wen we were small... the water bottles had the straw comin gout of it to sip water.... then as we grew older.. squeezy bottles were in fashion...:P
    n the hanky pinned up with the id.... oh god... it all jus reminded me off my nursery days....
    i agree with theage where we put a why to everythin... gosh how annoyin tht must have been for our parents....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice...a good start

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a lot of whys really..but thts how we come around i guess...

    ReplyDelete